Peas, carrots, smashed potatoes, and savory lentils make this a favorite comfort food. For a quick dish, serve the lentil stew on top of the potatoes. For a more traditional look, serve the stew in a bowl and top the stew with hot mash potatoes!
Lentil Vegetable Shepherd Pie
- 2 yukon gold potatoes (medium)
- 2 red potatoes (small)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (divided)
- water (as needed)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 TBSP vegan butter
Lentil Carrot Stew
- 2 TBSP avocado oil
- 3 large shallots (diced fine (or yellow onion))
- 2 carrots (medium, 3/4" dice)
- 8 oz mushrooms (sliced, crimini or baby bella)
- 3 TBSP tomato paste
- 4 cups Chef Leander's Amazing Vegan Vegetable Stock (or storebought)
- ¾ cup dry lentils (green or brown)
- 3 TBSP soy sauce (sub tamari or coconut aminos)
- pepper (to taste)
- 3 TBSP Italian seasoning
- ½ cup vegan mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup frozen peas
- Wash potatoes well and cut into 1" cubes. Leave the skin on for a more rustic texture.
- Bring 2 cups vegetable broth to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add potatoes and salt. Add extra water if needed to cover the potatoes. Add a loose lid to the pot and cook until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove potatoes from the heat. RESERVE THE LIQUID as you drain the potatoes and let them cool for 10 minutes..
- Cut up the butter. Add the butter, salt, and pepper to the potatoes and mash until fluffy. Put in the refrigerator to cool overnight (see NOTE). If the potatoes are not moist enough, add some of the reserved stock.OPTIONAL: For an easy presentation, shape the potatoes into 4 equal size balls. Place on a small cookie tray and smash into a "pancake". Cover lightly and let freeze.
Lentil Carrot Stew
- Set your Instant Pot to "Sauté" and bring it up to temperature. Add 2 TBSP of avocado oil. Sauté the minced shallots and the diced carrots. Cook until tender and fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms release their moisture and the moisture evaporates. The mushrooms will start to brown.
- Push the mushrooms and shallots to the side of the pot. Add the tomato paste to the center. Cook the tomato paste until it is fragrant and begins to brown lightly. Use several tablespoons of the broth to help scrape up the bits of caramelized tomato paste off the bottom of the pot.
- Add Chef Leander's Amazing Vegan Vegetable Stock to the Instant Pot. Add the lentils, coconut aminos, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set on multigrain for 20 minutes. Seal the pot and let cook.
- When the Instant Pot has finished cooking, carefully turn the steam release valve and let the pot depressurize. Carefully open the depressurized pot and stir in the frozen peas. Stir well so the hot stew will heat the frozen peas evenly
- If your potatoes are cold, heat them in a skillet. If your potatoes are in frozen disks, cook like pancakes: let hem heat and brown on one side, then flip and brown the other side. For an informal serving, place hot mashed potatoes in the bottom of a "cereal" bowl. Add 1/4 of the cheese and and top with 1/4 of the lentil stew. For a more formal presentation, reverse the stacking order. Stew in the bowl, cheese in the middle, toasted mashed potties on the top.Garnish with chopped parsley.
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.