Applesauce, peanut butter, cherries, nuts and cacao combine with gluten-free oatmeal to make the ideal energy snack. Little vegan balls of sugar-free delights.
Peanut Butter Oatmeal Energy Balls
- ½ c quick-cooking rolled oats
- ½ c quick-cooking rolled oat flour (see Notes)
- 3 TBSP dried cherries, chopped
- 3 TBSP hemp hearts (optional)
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ TBSP cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- ½ c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 TBSP agave, optional
The good stuff!!
- 2 TBSP cacao nibs
- ¼ c pecans, coarsely chopped
- ¼ c peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, a silicone liner, or aluminum foil. Place in the oven to preheat as well.
- CHEF'S SECRET: To chop the sticky cherries, toss them with a bit of the oat flour, and chop with a sharp knife. Help keep the cherries from sticking to the knife. This works well for all kinds of dried fruit.
- In the bowl of your mixer: Zest the lemon. Set the rest of the lemon aside. Add the remaining dry ingredients. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl: Squeeze in the juice of the zested lemon. Add the applesauce and agave and stir to combine. Mix on low until the ingredients come together.
- Add the good stuff! Add the cacao nibs and nuts to the dough and mix lightly to distribute. Mix in the peanut butter until it is well incorporated.
- Bake the cookies: Use a 2 TBSP scoop to form spherical cookies. Space cookies evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate to let cool completely.
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.