First of all, a salute to one of my favorite health and nutrition-conscious chefs, Kassia Fiedor.
This (unpublished) biscuit recipe is from the kitchen of Kassia Fiedor. They are fluffy, flaky, and full of great flavor. These were too good to not share with my readers. Therefore the recipe uses vegan butter and a flax egg to make them paleo and fully vegan. Win! Win! Win!
And while you’re here. . .check out Kassia’s cookbook, Cocina Holistica! It’s the star of our resources shopping page.
Amazing Almond Flour, Vegan Biscuits
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
1 flax "egg"
- 1 TBSP ground flaxseed (flax meal)
- 3 TBSP water
- ½ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 TBSP vegan butter, very hard*
- In a small mixing bowl: combine the coconut milk and lemon juice.
- In a cup: combine the flax meal and water to make a flax egg. Let rest at least 5-10 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl: Combine the dry ingredients except the butter. Give them a quick stir to combine.
- Cut the cold butter into small cubes, and then mix into the flour mixture. Use your fingers to "cut in" the butter by hand until there are small pieces of butter surrounded by flour. The mix should look like coarse meal, not a cookie dough. Form a well in the middle of the flour and butter mixture.
- Pour the flax egg into the coconut milk and lemon juice mixture and stir lightly.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well of the dry ingredients. Gently fold the edges of the flour mixture into the middle of the liquids, until they are combined. Let rest for 10 minutes to allow the dry ingredients to fully absorb the liquids..
- Scoop six balls of dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Dip a dinner spoon into a bowl of water. Use the back side of the spoon to flatten the ball of dough slightly.
- Using the scoop, put a second ball of the pastry mix on top of each of the flattened biscuits. Slightly fasten the second ball of dough on top of the first.
- Bake in the oven for 13 to 15 minutes until golden brown around the edges. Serve warm, or store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
If you missed it in the intro. . .be sure to check out Kassia’s cookbook, Cocina Holistica! It’s the star of our resources shopping page. If this is your first trip to our STORE link, it’s a great way to support our work here. You get the same Amazon price, AND we get a small commission on every item you buy. It all adds up to more great, vegan recipes for your next meal!
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.