If you are at a farmer’s market this weekend, look around for some fresh mushrooms. You won’t regret it! This is the perfect warm-you-up soup for the cooler, wetter days of fall
Instant Pot Mushroom, Farro Soup
- ½ ounce dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 TBSP vegan butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- ½ lb crimini mushrooms
- ½ cup farro, brown rice or other healthy grain
- ½ cup red wine
- 8 cups vegetable broth (optional part mushroom broth)
- ¾ cup grated carrot
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 TBSP Italian seasoning
- 2 TBSP soy sauce
- 2 TBSP white miso
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 green onions, tops and whites sliced thinly.
- Rehydrate the dried shiitake mushrooms: In a small bowl, cover the dried shiitake mushrooms with boiling water just to cover. Use a cup or can to hold the mushrooms under the surface. Set aside to rehydrate for 7-10 minutes.
- In the Instant Pot: Press the sauté button to turn on the instant pot. Melt the vegan butter in the work bowl. Add the diced onion and sauté until the onions begin to caramelize.
- When the onion begins to caramelize, add the sliced mushrooms to the pot and saute until they release their juices and begin to brown.
- Add the farro (or grain of your choice) to the pot and toast for about three minutes, until fragrant.
- Pour in the stock. Add the bay leaves, Italian seasoning, soy sauce, vegetable stock concentrate, salt, pepper, and grated carrot.
- Add the rehydrated shiitake mushrooms: Remove the shiitake mushrooms from the hot water. Slice into thin strips and add to the soup in the Instant Pot. Add up to 1/2 cup of the soaking water to the Instant Pot as well.
- Put the cover on the Instant Pot. Adjust the pressure valve to sealed. Choose the soup function button and set timer for 30 minutes. The Instant Pot will start automatically in about 30 seconds. When finished, allow the Instant Pot to depressurize naturally (about 40 minutes).
- To Serve: Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Garnish with thinly sliced green onions and drizzle 1/2 tsp sesame oil in the center (optional). Serve with fresh "cheese" and garlic, almond flour biscuits.
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.