Soup up your soup! Start with fresh, homemade, vegan, vegetable stock. It’s easy to make in your Instant Pot! You’ll love the fresh flavors! A quick sauté of root veggies for depth of flavor. Leafy greens make it vibrant. You can get it ready to cook in the Instant Pot in less time than it takes to buy groceries!!!
Chef Leander’s Heart-Warming Vegetable Stock (Instant Pot, Vegan)
- 1 TBSP 'cado oil
- 1 yellow onion, rough chopped
- 6 crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 oz tomato paste
Chopped Veggies Galore
- 2 cups water, to "deglaze"
- 2 large carrots
- 3 stalks celery (with leaves)
- 1 ea mini bok choy
- ½ bunch kale leaves
- ½ bunch Italian parsley
The Spices of Life
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme, or 3 TBSP dried
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, or 2 TBSP dried
- 1 cube frozen basil, or 2 tsp dried basil
- 12 whole pepper corns
- 1½ tsp salt, to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- water, up to the "fill line"
- In the Instant Pot: Preheat the Instant Pot (IP) by pressing the sauté button. When the read out says "High", put the of avocado oil in the bottom of the pot. Add the rough chopped onion and sauté until they begin to brown. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms have released their moisture and the moisture has mostly evaporated.
- Add richness: Move the cooked onions and mushrooms to the outside of the work bowl, leaving the center exposed to cook the tomato paste and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until the paste begins to brown a bit and stick to the bottom of the pan.
- "Deglaze" the pot: First use a cup or so of cold water to "deglaze" the pan. This is a fancy word for letting the water sizzle on the bottom of the pan, while scraping up the "brown bits" left behind by the tomato paste. Another word to be familiar with is "fond". That is the chef's name for the "brown bits". You want to lift the fond off the bottom of the pan using the water, so all that flavor goes into the broth.
- Add the veggies and spices: When everything is in the pot, add enough water to bring the level up to the PC (Pressure Cooker) max fill line.
- Start the IP: Secure the cover. Close the steam release valve. Choose the "Soup/Broth" program. Set the cook time to 60 minutes using either the "adjust" button or the plus and minus keys. You will hear several beeps and the display will change to ON. You can step away with full confidence your meal will be ready on time.
- What to expect: Generally speaking, the Instant Pot takes about 20 minutes to pressurize before it begins your cook time. When cooking is complete, it will also take about 20 minutes to depressurize. You will know it is safe to remove the cover when steam does not escape as you turn the pressure release valve.
- As an extra safety precaution: Before you attempt to open the pot, make it a habit to open the steam valve to confirm that pot has depressurized. If there is a plume of steam when you open the valve, wait for the steam to subside.
- When there is no steam coming from the pressure valve, your cooking is complete and your pot is ready to open.
- Condense the broth: To enhance the flavor of the finished broth, you will want to evaporate off some of the water. With the pot open, turn on the "Sauté" cycle. The timer will countdown from 30 minutes. Repeat this three more times, for a total of 2 hours. This will reduce the broth by about 25%, enhancing the flavor and making it easier to store.
- Finish and Store: To finish remove the vegetables by transferring the stock into a large pot through a colander. Store the stock in jars in the refrigerator for up to a week. For longer storage, Souper Cubes are a great way to package and store the broth in the freezer. Each Souper Cube well holds a 1 cup (250 ml) portion. Once frozen, the cubes can be removed to a zip-lock bag and kept in the freezer for about 3 months.
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.