In the east, congee is a traditional rice porridge. It is bland and often served to people recovering from influenza. In a more robust form, congee can be fortified with vegetables, herbs and spices, to enhance its health benefits.
Souped Up, Healing Congee
Think of congee as the eastern, vegan version of chicken-noodle soup: healing, healthy, hot and soothing!This recipe couldn't be easier or more fresh. The rice is replaced with grains and black beans for a protein boost. Add the fresh ingredients to your Instant Pot in any order. Give it a stir, cook it up, and 90 minutes later you have a hot, nutritious, one-pot meal to warm you from the inside out!
Share by Email Print Recipe Add to FavoritesGo to Favorites
- 6 c vegetable stock
- ¾ c frozen corn
- ¾ c carrot, sliced
- ¾ c celery, sliced
- 10 crimini mushrooms, quartered or sliced
- ⅓ c dried black beans (or yellow lentils)
- ⅓ c farro (or barley)
- ⅓ c quinoa (or millet or brown rice)
- ⅓ c soy sauce, low sodium
- 1 TBSP powdered ginger
- 1 TBSP powered tumeric
- 1 TBSP Better than Bullion Organic Vegetable Base, Reduced Sodium
- 1½ TBSP fresh ginger, grated finely
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 TBSP Better than Bullion Organic Garlic Base, Reduced Sodium
- ½ tsp cracked pepper
- scallions, sliced thin, greens and whites
- cilantro "confetti"
- toasted sesame oil
- Place the congee ingredients directly into your Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and set the steam release to sealing.
- Use the porridge setting and adjust the cooking time to 60 minutes.
- Grab a cuppa' tea or a Hot Toddy and get a good book. Curl up with a blanket in your favorite chair. If you have a fireplace, invite me to join you!Including the time to pressurize and depressurize, dinner will be ready in about 90 minutes.
- When the soup is finished, let the pressure release naturally.
- Toppings are optional. I recommend you to limit yourself to one or two, depending on your mood.
Better than Bouillon is typically in every local grocery store next to the soups in a small jar. You can use a bullion cube instead, but this is so much better! The bouillon will deepen the flavor of the sauce, but if you don't have either, you can skip it. Mushrooms are a wonderful addition to vegan stews and soups. They maintain their texture and give a good "chew" to the soup, imitating meat. ***Substitutions*** This recipe has 1 cup of high-protein super grains and legumes. Mix and match depending on what is in your pantry! Just make sure you total one cup.
- black beans (turtle or adzuki), yellow or green lentils, yellow or green split peas
- quinoa or brown rice
- farrow, millet or barley
Support us at PatreonPatreon.com/chefleander
Souped Up, Healing Congee
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Don't miss a single recipe ! ! !Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.