Created by Oscar Tshirky, Waldorf Salad was first served at a benefit for St. Mary’s Children’s hospital at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel (NYC) on March 14, 1896. This was my favorite salad growing up as a kid. It was a regular at holiday dinners. And it is as elegant in its service as it is delicious.
Classic Waldorf Salad
Chopped apples and celery, grapes, walnuts and a few dried cherries are a classic dish known as Waldorf Salad. A light, vegan-mayo dressing adds a nice contrast to the fruit. Elegant enough to be served as an appetizer, side dish, or even as a light dessert at the end of your holiday meal.
Share by Email Print Recipe Add to FavoritesGo to Favorites
- 1 lemon (juiced, divided)
- 1 red apple (diced medium)
- ½ cup red grapes (cut in ½)
- ½ cup celery (¼ inch slices)
- ¼ cup walnut pieces
- ⅓ cup veganaise
- 2 tsp celery seed
- ¼ tsp kosher salt (or applewood smoked salt)
- 20 grinds black pepper (ground)
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce
- 4 stalks parsley or mint
- 12 dried cherries
- Fill a medium mixing bowl ¾ full with cold water. Add ½ of the lemon juice. Dice the apple into ¾" pieces. Let soak in the cold lemon water for 10 minutes to prevent oxidation (browning). Drain well in a small colander.
- Put the dressing ingredients in the bottom of the empty mixing bowl. Give them a good stir until well combined. Add the remaining lemon juice to taste.
- Return the apples to the mixing bowl. Add the grapes, celery, and walnuts. Toss gently until the salad is evenly coated.
- Presentation: Line four open stemware glasses with a leaf of romaine lettuce. Divide the prepared salad in the four glasses. Garnish each glass with a sprig of parsley and 3 dried cherries. Voila!
Gussy this recipe up with: Applewood Smoked Salt Montmorency Dried Cherries
Support us at PatreonPatreon.com/chefleander
Classic Waldorf Salad
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Don't miss a single recipe ! ! !Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.