During the pandemic, my roommate and I teamed up with a couple of friends for online dinners. We each cooked in our own homes. At the appointed time, we cooked in our own homes, and then gathered online to eat identical menus from our respective homes. This was my take on one of the suggested dishes.
Beets à l' Orange
- 6 medium beets (¾-inch dice)
- 8 mandarin oranges (other options are tangerines, or 4 cara cara or valencia oranges when available.)
- 1 TBSP coconut sugar (other options are date sugar, agave, maple syrup, or table sugar)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 2 TBSP fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- cup vegetable stock
- 1 oz Mandarine Napolèon liqueur (or Grand Marnier liqueur, depending on your citrus choice)
- Zest one mandarine. Peel zest strips strips off a second madarine. Then peel all four mandarines and mash them in the bottom of medium covered sauce pan. (Remove the seeds.)
- Grate your ginger. If you store your ginger in the freezer it stays fresh for months. It also makes it easy to grate with a planer.
- Add the beets and all the remaining ingredients to the citrus in the sauce pan. Bring the mixture to a boil and immediately reduce to simmer. Cook the beets until tender but not "soggy". About 30 minutes.
- Uncover the pot. Remove the beets to a small, heated bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Bring the liquids back to a boil. Carefully add the liquor and burn off the alcohol. Return to a simmer, and let the water evaporate until the sauce thickens and becomes a glaze,
- Watch the pot carefully. Take if off the heat when it is reduced to about ⅓ cup of liquid.
- Presentation: Plate family style on a medium platter or bowl. Pour the glaze over the top. Garnish with mint leaves and orange zest.
- For leftovers: These beets, warm or cold, are a delicious addition to a green salad! Just saying....
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.