Mormor (“granny”) showed me the delights of cooking. Pastries and breads were her speciality, but Mormor’s Swedish meatballs were my absolute favorite. Here is a recipe based on plant-based meatballs from Ikea (or your local grocery). The secret is in the sauce. . . The Simon and Garfunkel Mushroom Gravy!
Mormor’s Authentic Swedish Meatballs (Vegan)
- 1 bag vegan meatballs (1 pound / 500 g) (Ikea plant-based meatballs are da bomb, see note below)
- 1 recipe Vegan Mushroom Gravy (blended smooth)
- kosher salt to taste
- 8 TBSP berry jam (lingonberry, marionberry or blackberry are all excellent.)
- Preheat open to 400°F (205°C)
- Line a baking sheet with a silpat, parchment paper, or foil for easy cleanup.
- Place the frozen meatballs on the baking sheet leaving a bit of space between them. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 mins until they are slightly crusty on the outside and wonderfully warm on the inside.
- Immediately plate the meatballs and cover with Simon and Garfunkel Mushroom Gravy. Garnish with a pinch of minced parsley "confetti.
- Traditionally Swedish meatballs are served with a dollop of Lingonberry Jam (a Swedish delicacy). Feel free to substitute marionberry or blackberry jam, or any other local berry jam.
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.