Finally a vegan recipe that hits all the flavor notes of traditional tomato soup. And the cashew cream gives it a creaminess that makes it the perfect comfort food. The mostly-raw ingredients means it packs a nutritional punch as well.
Silky Smooth Vegan Tomato Bisque
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cup boiling-hot water (for soaking)
- 1 cup cold water
Fresh Tomato Soup
- 1½ cup vegetable stock
- 2 TBSP fresh thyme leaves (or 1 TBSP dried)
- ½ TBSP fresh oregano (or 2 tsp dried)
- 1 TBSP tomato paste
- 2 TBSP white miso paste
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes (14.5 ounces or 411 grams)
- ½ cup spinach
- ¼ inch red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 TBSP flax meal
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes (in oil) (drained)
- 1 med celery stalk (quartered, include leaves)
- 1 med carrot (quartered)
- 2 roma tomatos (stemmed and quartered)
- ½ inch lemon
Make cashew cream
- Put the cashews in a small bowl and cover with 3 cups of boiling hot water. Let soak for at least one hour
- Drain the cashews and rinse well. Place in a blender. Add the cold water. Blend on high speed for 90 seconds. Pour into a container and set aside.
Make the soup
- Add all the remaining ingredients into the blender in the order listed. Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Heat the soup on the stove in a a sauce pan. If you are using a VitaMix blender, blend for 6 1/2 minutes or until the soup is hot.
- Remove from the heat and pour in the cashew cream.
Garnish and Serve
- Pour the soup into bowls. If you like garnish with fresh croutons and a sprig of fresh thyme or a pinch of flat-leaf parsley
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.