I’m often asked, “wasn’t it hard to give up meat?” Honestly, not really. What I missed more were “comfort foods.” Pesto with sun-warmed basil from my garden is one of those comfort foods. It took some trial and error. Now this recipe gets rave reviews!
Foolproof Vegan Walnut-Almond Basil Pesto
- Food Processor (or blender)
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup almonds
- 5 TBSP walnut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice (about ¼ cup lemon juice)
- 1 tsp himalayan salt
- 3 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 3 oz basil leaves (stems removed (about 1 cup, packed)
- ¼ cup coconut cream
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Put the walnuts and almonds in the food processor and chop for 90 seconds until nuts are a fine meal, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the work bowl and process for an additional 90 seconds until smooth. If needed, you can use an additional TBSP of coconut cream to adjust the texture to your liking.
- Use the pesto as a condiment in cooking, a spread on crackers or bread, or thinned slightly as a sauce on pasta.
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.