INFLATION BUSTER! There is some reporting that bread will triple in price by fall. So why not make your own??? This recipe is four ingredients, and super easy! Once you get the hang of it, it will take you less than 15 minutes to get the dough ready. This is a basic skill that is easy to learn.
Fantastic Fresh Focaccia Bread
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (9 inches (23 cm))
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme (5 inches (13 cm))
- 3 cup bread flour (432 grams)
- 1 TBSP yeast (8 grams)
- 2 tsp himalayan salt (10 grams)
- 1½ TBSP coconut sugar (9 grams)
- 1 cup lukewarm water (PLUS 1 TBSP water. 255grams total)
- kosher salt
- flat-leaf parsley confetti
- Strip the rosemary and time leaves from their stems. Put the herbs, garlic, and olive oil in the blender and blend 30 seconds. Set aside to meld the flavors. ALTERNATE METHOD: Use a kitchen hammer to smash the herbs and the garlic. Add herbs to the olive oil and allow to steep for an hour.
- Fit your stand mixer with the dough hook. Put all the dry ingredients in the work bowl. Chef's Secret: create separate "wells" for the yeast, salt, and sugar.
- In a small bowl, add the tepid water (it should just barely register as warm on your hand). Add 2 TBSP of the herbed oil mixture to the water.
- Using a spoon or whisk, lightly mix the dry ingredients in the work bowl. Make one large well in the center and pour the liquids into the well. Start the mixer on slow and let the mixture combine. You can carefully speed up the mixer to medium as the ingredients come together.
- When a ball form on the dough hook, set the mixer again on slow and let the dough kneed for 3 minutes.
- While the dough is "kneeding", place a damp towel in the microwave and set it to "cook" for 1 minute. This will create a "hot box" with steam as a draft free location to raise the bread.
- Prepare a large bowl (that will fit in your microwave) by making a circle of olive oil in the bowl.
- The dough is ready when the ball on the dough hook has a smooth surface. Using floured hands, roll the dough into a ball. Put it in the oiled bowl, top side down. Swirl it a distribute some of the olive oil. Turn it over in the bowl so the top is now facing you. Cover lightly with aluminum foil or a lightweight kitchen towel. Place in the microwave (NO YOU DO NOT TURN IT ON!) LOL and set your timer for 1hr 15 min
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C)
- Prepare a work surface on the counter. A silicone mat is perfect.
- When the dough ball has doubled in size, turn it out onto your work surface. Using a rolling pin (or a wine bottle) roll the dough out to about 10x14 inches (the inner borders of my sil-pat).
- With the oiled side down, put the dough in the pan and adjust to an even layer. Use your fingers to make lots of indentations in the dough. Pour the remaining herbed olive oil on the top of the bread and distribute evenly.
- Cover and let rise for 15 minutes (ONLY)
- Sprinkle a few pinches of kosher salt on top of the dough. Slide the pan into the hot oven. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the counter for 30 minutes. Garnish with parsley confetti. This is delicious warm or cold.
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.