I love “Euro-Visits!” you know. . .spontaneous company! And being me, I always want to put some snacks on the table. Everything in this recipe is a staple in my pantry—so I keep extra cans of artichoke hearts around just for an occasion like this.
- 4 TBSP vegan butter (divided)
- 2 TBSP minced shallot
- 1⅓ TBSP tapioca flour
- 1½ TBSP brown rice flour
Whisk into sauce
- ⅔ cup almond milk (plain, unsweetened)
- ½ cup artichoke brine ((reserved from canned artichokes))
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 TBSP sunflower nut butter
- 1 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 6 cloves roasted garlic (OR 3 cloves "pasted" raw garlic)
- 2 oz chevre (optional)
- 1 can artichoke hearts (drained and chopped, liquid reserved)
- 3 oz spinach (fresh, chiffonade)
- 1 TBSP sherry vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 1 TBSP dried dill
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- crackers (gluten-free, if possible)
- sourdough baguette, sliced thinly (gluten-free, if possible)
- Make Thickener (Roux): Melt 1 TBSP vegan butter in sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the minced shallots and sauté until caramelized.
- Add the tapioca and brown rice flours and whisk to remove lumps. Cook until the flours start to "brown" ever so slightly.
- Add a small amount of almond milk and whisk well. The sauce will "seize up." That is expected. Continue adding the rest of the almond milk in small amounts, whisking well with each addition so there are no lumps in the sauce.
- Add the reserved artichoke brine all at once and stir to incorporate. Add the bay leaf and lower the heat to medium high and cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove the bay leaf and add the rest of the sauce ingredients: bay leaf, sunflower nut butter, nutritional yeast, garlic and chèvre (if using). Whisk well until you have a smooth sauce.
- Stir in the chopped canned artichoke hearts, the fresh spinach, vinegar, dried dill, salt and pepper. Cook on medium heat until the spinach wilts.
- Pour into a ramekin or au gratin dish and serve with crackers or thinly sliced sourdough baguette.
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.