What is there to say? Pasta salad is the bomb. Make for BBQs, outdoor gatherings or just for yourself!
Hail Caesar! Pasta Salad
- 1 12 oz penne rigate (Chef's Choice: Bionaturæ Rice and Lentil Pasta)
- 6 cups water (boiling)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegan mayonaise (plus 2 TBSP. Chef's favorite: Follow Your Heart Vegenaise)
- 3 cloves garlic (pasted with salt* (see "How To Paste Garlic")
- 1 TBSP kosher salt
- 2 lemons lemon, zest and juice (zest of one lemon, juice of two)
- 1½ tsp rice vinegar, sugar free (or white vinegar)
- 1 TBSP sun dried tomato oil
- 6 TBSP vegan parmesan (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce (Chef's choice: The Wizard's Organic, Gluten free, Vegan Worcestershire Sauce)
- ¾ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1½ TBSP sun dried tomatoes (minced)
- 2 TBSP minced Italian parsley
- 2 TBSP minced spinach
- 2 TBSP minced kale
- ½ red bell pepper (finely diced)
- 4 radicchio leaves (or purple lettuce, sub romaine)
- 4 TBSP vegan parmesan (substitute pine nuts )
- pepper (freshly ground, to taste)
- 8 oz grape tomatoes
- parsley "confetti"
- PREPARE PASTA: Boil 6 cups of water in a large sauce pan. Add the pasta and salt. Return to a roiling boil 2 min. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until almost tender about 7 minutes. Drain in a colander. DO NOT RINSE. set aside.
- MAKE CAESAR DRESSING: Put the vegenaise in a large bowl.
- *PASTE THE GARLIC: Smash the garlic cloves on your cutting board with the side of your knife. Mince the garlic finely. Add the kosher salt and rub it into the garlic with the side of your knife to make a paste. Add this to the dressing in the bowl.
- ZEST ONE LEMON with a microplane. Juice BOTH lemons. Add the zest and the juice to the dressing.
- ADD: Rice vinegar, sun-dried tomato oil, vegan parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, and red pepper flakes.
- WHISK THE DRESSING until the ingredients are well incorporated. Chef's Secret: Hand whisk this with a balloon whisk rather than using a blender.
- ADD THE PASTA to the bowl of dressing.
- SUN DRIED TOMATOES: Drain them, mince them, add them to the salad bowl.
- MINCE THE GREENS: Mince the Italian parsley, spinach, and kale (remove the tough center stem). Measure the greens into the bowl.
- STIR until all ingredients and the dressing are well distributed.
- ARRANGE THE SALAD in a serving bowl lined with large leaves of cabbage or lettuce. Garnish as you like.
- TO PLATE INDIVIDUAL SERVINGS, line each plate with radicchio leaves. Top with 1½ cups of the salad. Garnish with vegan parmesan or pine nuts. Add freshly ground pepper to taste. Place 3 grape tomatoes together on the edge of the plate. Finish with a sprinkle of parsley confetti.
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.