When I first switched to plant-based eating, a friend gave me a vegan, black bean brownie recipe and asked how a vegan would make them. Three years later, this is the result. These are a go-to treat for me. In fact, it’s the only brownie recipe I make these days.
I’d love your feedback!
Amazing Black Bean Brownies (Gluten-Free)
- 2½ TBSP flaxseed, ground
- 1 orange, zest and juice, ~1/3 c (80 ml)
- ½ cup date sugar (this recipe is sugar free--date sugar is dried fruit, not refined sugar)
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 12 pecan halves
- Lightly grease a 12-well standard muffin pan or line the wells with silicon muffin "papers".
- Zest the orange, then juice the orange. Some pulp in the juice will be fine.
- Prepare Flax Egg: Put the ground flaxseed in a small bowl. If necessary, add water to the orange juice to total 1/3 cup (80 ml). Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Put the date sugar in the blender and pulse to refine the sugar. Process 30 seconds. When the sugar is fine, add the flax egg, black beans and continue processing until smooth. Add remaining ingredients (except for the pecans) and puree.
- The mix should be the consistency of a thick cake batter (just barely pourable). If needed, thin the batter by working in 1 TBSP water at a time.
- Spoon the batter into the 12 muffin cups. Top with the pecan halves or substitute walnut halves if you prefer.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Set the brownies aside to rest for one hour before baking them.
- Bake for 23-26 minutes until the brownies are dry on the top and the edges have begun to shrink.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes in the pan on a rack. It is good if they are still a bit "pudding like" in the middle. They will solidify as they cool.
- Store in an airtight container for a few days--if they last that long!
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.