Overflowing with fall herbs? You can only make so much pesto! Here are some other ways to preserve your herbs for winter and spring goodness at your table.
Classic Garlic Basil Compound Butter
- ½ lb vegan butter, chilled
- 8 basil leaves, minced
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- Compound butter is easy to make with whatever equipment you have. A food processor, stand mixer or just a good old fashioned bowl and spoon all work well. Because we use vegan butter, it is not necessary to soften the butter first.
- Put the butter, basil, and garlic in your work bowl. Stir vigorously until the ingredients are well combined and evenly distributed.
- Lay out your sushi mat and cover it will plastic food wrap. Put half the butter on the mat just a little closer to you than in the center. Roll the plastic wrap over the butter and form a crease to enclose the butter. Then roll the sushi mat over until it meets the table. If you gently pull the mat back to yourself, the butter will "flow" in the plastic wrap and you can make a "log" of butter about the size of a nickel.
- Repeat for the remaining butter. Cover the butter logs with parchment paper and put in the freezer. When you want to use it, simply remove the logs from the refrigerator and cut into "coins." If sealed well, compound butters will stay in the freezer for several months. Once thawed, do not refreeze.
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.