Chocolate biscotti with Oregon hazelnuts. A decadent weekend treat that’s easy to make, gluten free, and delicious!
Hazelnut Double Chocolate Biscotti
- 1 TBSP ground flax seed
- 2½ TBSP water
Dry Ingredients — in a small mixing bowl with wooden spoon
- 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oat flour (see notes, 115 g)
- ¼ cup hazelnuts (rough chopped)
- 2 TBSP cacao powder
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 TBSP agave
- 1½ TBSP sunflower nut butter (or almond butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP water (if needed)
- 1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Make flax egg: put the ground flax meal in a small cup or bowl. Add the water and stir. Let the egg set for 5 minutes to absorb the water.
- Measure dry ingredients into medium work bowl or mixer, stir to combine.
- Add flax egg and wet ingredients, stir until a dough comes together. It will be very stiff.
- Line a 3 cup Pyrex container with parchment paper. Press the dough into this "mold." Use the back of a spoon dipped in water if the dough is being stubborn.
- Alternate method: place 1/4 of a pice of parchment paper on your work surface. Using a pencil and ruler, draw a 5" x 7" rectangle on the paper. Press the dough into a single "biscuit" inside the rectangle.
- Use the parchment paper to lift the "biscuit" onto your baking sheet. Bake 18 to 20 minutes until the biscuit is done and a bit dry. Lift out of the oven and let the biscuit cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Cut the biscuit into 8 slices. Place the biscuits back on the cooking sheet with one of the sides facing down. Bake 10 minutes. Flip the biscuits so the other side is down, and bake 10 minutes more. Remove from oven to a cooling rack.
- While your biscotti are cooling (and making the kitchen smell amazing!), metal the chocolate chips. Place them in a small cup (a coffee cup works well), and microwave for 22 seconds. Take the cup out of the microwave and stir the chocolate. Repeat this process, 22 seconds at a time, to heat the chocolate slowly until it is all melted.
- Decorate the biscotti with the melted chocolate. Serve with your favorite podcast and warm beverage. Happy New Year!
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.