My friend, Brian, discovered this “recipe” a few months ago. It quickly became a staple our small kitchen. Quick to make. Versatile. Top it or fill it any way you like.
Lentil Fuss-Free Flatbread
This flatbread is a bit of a culinary chameleon. Use herbs and spices to fit the rest of the meal. Serve up like pancakes. Or use this gluten-free bread to make a sandwich.
Share by Email Print Recipe Add to FavoritesGo to Favorites
- ⅓ cup red lentils, masoor dal
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup water, plus 2 TBSP
- 4 TBSP avocado oil (for cooking)
For savory flatbread
- ½ tsp dried thyme ( )
- ½ tsp dried oregano ( )
For breakfast flatbread
- 2 tsp cinnamon
For eastern flatbread
- 2 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- For the most reliable results, be precise in your measurements.
- In a high-speed blender, "grind" the split lentils until they become the texture of flour. This typically takes about a minute.
- Put the lentil flour, the thyme and the oregano into a medium bowl and add the water. Let is sit for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally with a whisk, to let the flour absorb the water. Consider adding changing out the herbs depending on the flavor palette of the accompanying meal.
- Heat a drizzle of avocado oil in a medium hot (310º) non-stick skillet. Pour in 1/2 c of the batter. Cook until the bubbles rise to the surface and the "pancake" releases from the pan. Turn over and cook another couple of minutes until brown.
- Turn out onto a plate.
- As written, this recipe serves 2 people with 4 hearty flatbreads.
Your results will be best if you follow the ingredient list very carefully. Don't estimate the amounts. The ratio of 1 cup pre-ground lentils to 1 c, plus 2 tbsp of warm water is foolproof in my experience. CAVEAT: The appliance you use to grind your lentils may affect the texture of your lentil "flour," which may also determine the amount of water you need. Play! Experiment! Once you create the perfect flatbread, the water you need will be consistent time after time. Related Recipies: Citrus, Farro & Spinach Salad, Cashew Hibiscus Cream and Polenta, Asparagus & Marinara: Dinner 911
Support us at PatreonPatreon.com/chefleander
Lentil Fuss-Free Flatbread
Amount per Serving
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Don't miss a single recipe ! ! !Subscribe to our YouTube channel!
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.