My friend, Brian, discovered this “recipe” a few months ago. It quickly became a staple our small kitchen. Quick to make. Versatile. Top it or fill it any way you like.
Lentil Fuss-Free Flatbread
- ⅓ cup red lentils, masoor dal
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup water, plus 2 TBSP
- 4 TBSP avocado oil (for cooking)
For savory flatbread
- ½ tsp dried thyme ( )
- ½ tsp dried oregano ( )
For breakfast flatbread
- 2 tsp cinnamon
For eastern flatbread
- 2 tsp tumeric
- 1 tsp curry powder
- For the most reliable results, be precise in your measurements.
- In a high-speed blender, "grind" the split lentils until they become the texture of flour. This typically takes about a minute.
- Put the lentil flour, the thyme and the oregano into a medium bowl and add the water. Let is sit for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally with a whisk, to let the flour absorb the water. Consider adding changing out the herbs depending on the flavor palette of the accompanying meal.
- Heat a drizzle of avocado oil in a medium hot (310º) non-stick skillet. Pour in 1/2 c of the batter. Cook until the bubbles rise to the surface and the "pancake" releases from the pan. Turn over and cook another couple of minutes until brown.
- Turn out onto a plate.
- As written, this recipe serves 2 people with 4 hearty flatbreads.
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.