Feel like hunkering down to get away from the chilly temperatures outside? I love soups in the winter…something with more bite than broth. Check out the ingredient list and this will likely become one of your favorites.
Masala Red Lentil and Farro Soup
Saute shallot, then add fresh ginger
- 4 TBSP melted coconut oil
- 2 shallots (diced)
- 2 inch ginger (minced or grated)
Add spices to saute, heat till fragrant
- 1½ TBSP garam masala
- 1½ TBSP smoked paprika
- 1 TBSP ground turmeric
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- 1 TBSP ground coriander
- 1 TBSP ground ginger
Add cilantro stems and garlic
- 2 bunches cilantro (stems only, minced finely)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
Add broth, tomatoes, lentils and grain and salt
- 6 cups Chef Leander's Amazing Vegan Vegetable Broth (or store bought)
- ½ cup red lentils
- ½ cup farro (for gluten free, sub quinoa)
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 tsp kosher salt
Cook in Instant Pot 20 minutes
Stir in cashew cream, and spinach and cook till bright green
- 2 cups cashews (soak 1 hour in boiling water )
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups spinach leaves (chiffinade, loosely packed)
Garnish with cilantro confetti, scallions and sherry vinegar
- 3 scallions (thinly sliced, for garnish)
- 6 TBSP sherry vinegar (for garnish)
- 1 recipe Cashew-Cilantro Vegan Sour Cream (Alternative: Cashew Vegan Sour Cream)
- Press the "Sauté" button on the Instant Pot and let the pot warm up until the readout changes to "hot".
- Melt 2 TBSP coconut oil and add the shallots. Cook until the shallots are translucent and have started to brown.
- Add the fresh, grated ginger and all of the ground spices to the center of the pot. Add a bit more coconut oil so the spices cling together like a paste. Toast in the bottom of the pot until fragrant.
- Add the minced cilantro stems and garlic. Stir 30 seconds
- Add the roasted tomatoes, farro (or the same amount quinoa for gluten free) and red lentils to the pot, along with 6 cups of vegetable broth. Add salt to taste.
- Close the Instant Pot. Close the steam release valve. Press the multi grain program button. Adjust cook time to 20 minutes. When the soup is finished, let the pressure release naturally. The whole process will be 60-70 minutes.
- When the pressure is released, open the pot and stir in the cashew cream.
- For additional taste, flavor, and nutritional value, add some raw, chopped spinach to the soup as well.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and a few cilantro leaves. Float a tsp of Sherry Vinegar on top of the soup.
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.