Fennel is a layered, bulbous vegetable that originated in the Mediterranean and has been used for centuries for its medicinal properties. This dish is full of flavor and nutrients. . .the perfect starter for a multiple course meal!
Shaved Fennel Salad
- 2 bulbs fennel (large, shaved thin)
- ½ red onion (small, diced)
- 1 TBSP sherry vinegar (divided)
- pinch kosher salt (to taste)
- 4 oranges (cara cara preferred, or navel)
- ¾ cup kalmata olives (sliced)
- 1 beet (cooked)
- ⅓ cup pecans (chopped)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
Marinade the fennel--One hour before assembly, or the day before:
- Slice the fennel bulb thinly with a knife or a mandolin. Dice ½ red onion.
- Put the fennel and the onion in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 tsp of the sherry vinegar and a pinch of salt and stir together well. Let marinade for an hour or overnight.
On the day you serve it
- Segment the cara cara oranges. Cut the cooked beet in ¾ inch cubes. Rough chop the olives. Rough chop the pecans (see note).Add these ingredients to the large bowl.
- Toss gently until well mixed.
- Rest a small bowl on a damp cloth on your counter. Add the sherry vinegar to the bowl and begin to whisk. As you are whisking, slowly drizzle the olive oi into the bowl while you continue to whisk. Pour this dressing over the salad and toss gently.
- Serve on individual plates. Garnish with the delicate fronds that came with the fennel bulb. Beautiful!!!
- If you prefer to have a salad with more bite, try adding tajin or a few red pepper flakes to your finished salad.
NOTICE: Small Kitchen BIG TASTE is an Amazon Associate and, as such, we earn from your qualifying purchases. Any item you purchase once you click on an image on our “Store” page supports Small Kitchen BIG TASTE. We appreciate it when you shop in our store and help us continue to put out delicious content.